I am a fan of statement pieces. A hot red shoe that steals the scene, warms my heart. BUT there are certain key basics that are great to have in your closet to showcase these items and bring everything in your wardrobe together (group hug).
Here are my top 10 basics. What are yours?
1. BOOT CUT JEAN. These go with everything and are flattering to most shapes. They are a base for many casual outfits however if you get a dark wash you can dress them up too. My pick: The Bailey Boot Cut Jean in shadow from HeightGoddess.com. $129. Inseams 36"-40". Sizes 27-35.
2. CLASSIC DRESS SHIRT. You can wear this on it's own, under a cardigan or vest or blazer. There are endless ways to wear this white crispy shirt. It never goes out of style and pays for itself ten times over. My pick: Wrinkle Resistant Shirt in white from Long Elegant Legs. $49. Sizes S-XXL.
3. COAT. You can't be chilly during fall and winter so a timeless coat is an investment that you need to make. The purchase can make a dent in your pocket however if you pick a coat with great construction and a neutral color, you can throw it on with everything and stay warm season after season. My pick: Textured Coat in gray Melange from Banana Republic. $225. Sizes S-XL.
4. BLACK DRESS PANT. Think about all of the times you have needed a great pair of dress pants. Yes, about a million. My pick: The Perfect Trouser Pant from Gap. $59.95. Sizes 00-15. 33"-37" inseams.
5&6. PUMP & FLAT. I love shoes and don't think you could ever have too many but in the least you should have a black pump and a neutral, fun flat. They both will be used in excess. My picks: (PUMP) Vince Camuto Korsi Pump from Nordstrom. $118.95. Sizes 4-12 in M and W width. (FLAT) Tess by Barefoot Tess Madrid Flat From All Black in taupe. $149. Sizes 11-15.
7. BASIC BLAZER. Throw this on with a light jean and scarf for a day out with friends or put on a pencil skirt and classic dress shirt with a chunky necklace. You can wear a basic blazer with anything and everything. Your closet must have this. My pick: The New Mara One Button Blazer in Navy from Long Legs. $165. 27.5" sleeves. Sizes XS-XL.
8. PENCIL SKIRT. Speaking of pencil skirts, having one in a dark color is essential. Pencil skirts slim you down and make your booty look good. Not to mention they polish off any outfit. What is there not to love? My pick: The Carlton Stripe Pencil Skirt form LOFT. $69.50. Sizes 0-18.
9. SWEATER DRESS. I don't care what anyone says. There is nothing better then a one piece outfit. Picture those rainy days when all you want to do is stay under the covers and BAM, instant, cute outfit. My pick: Merino Wool Cowl Neck Sweater Dress in violet from Ann Taylor. $138. Sizes XS-XL.
10. SKINNY JEAN. No matter what color you covet just make sure you have a pair of skinnies. They are seasonless and slimming. Need I say more? My pick: The Farringdon Skinny from Long Tall Sally. HURRY! These are a HOT item, going fast! $79. Sizes 4-16. 35" inseam.