Hey Loves! Guess what? I was featured in an amazing article on Buzzfeed! It's called 21 Very Necessary Style Tips for Tall Girls. It is a great article and I am in some amazing company!
When Buzzfeed approached me about participating in the article, I obviously said yes before they could finish the question. I then picked my brain for all of my tips and sent them on their way. I love all of the tips that they selected but I thought I would share my full list with you tall lovelies:) Check them out and let me know what you think (pretty please:).
1. TAILOR LOVE. Yes. You will have to tailor some of your clothes but guess what…every shape, size and height has to! Unless you create the garment from the ground up, nothing is specifically made for you. Don’t be afraid to spend a little extra coin to make a garment just right for y-o-u.
2. RAID THE MEN’S SECTION. Men’s garments are always cut longer (how stereotypical) and the line between a men’s garment and a women’s garment is slowly fading away. The cut of clothing used to be drastically different but now men’s options are becoming more unisex and far more figure flattering (not to mention, menswear is the new black). Venture on over to their section or better yet, comb through your man’s sliver of the closet and see what you can find.
3. COVET ¾ SLEEVES. Most stores do not carry tops with sleeves long enough for our long, beautiful frames but they do carry ¾ sleeve options. This is a sleeve length that is universal for everyone and is actually more flattering on us because our limbs are longer and are accentuated by the length of the sleeve. I also love making a faux ¾ sleeve. Roll those puppies up! It takes vintage shopping to another level.
4. CUFF LOVE. There is nothing wrong with making a pant that just isn’t quite long enough, into a cuffed ankle or capri. All it takes is a couple of turns to the pant leg and voila, you have a pant that looks appropriate. One thing a tall girl should try NOT to do at all costs is look like she is waiting for a flood. A cuff alleviates that situation.
5. TRY EVERYTHING. Don’t automatically count a garment out before you try it on. It may not look like it will work but you will be surprised at the options that will. You will have some misses, but the makes are worth the trials. Try, try and try again.
6. SEEK THE MIDI. There are a plethora of dresses and skirts that work for us IN THE STORE. Get acquainted with your best friend, the MIDI. They are made to hit below the knee but on us they hit right above which is the perfect length for a plethora of occasions. I find many of my amazing midi’s at Forever 21, Akira and H&M.
7. BASIC ATTRACTION. One thing every tall girl should invest in are tall basics. From long camis, to tall bodysuits to long sleeved tees, these pieces are essential in creating the foundation for many looks. You can easily convert an outfit from regular length to tall, using basics for layering. A good tall basic will change the makeup of your wardrobe. My favorite spots for tall basics are Long Tall Sally and Taller Than Your Average. Both have great, well-constructed basic pieces.
8. LAYER LIKE A MUG. Another nod to #7, use those basic pieces to layer like there is no tomorrow. You can turn a store bought look into a tall fit with a simple basic body suit. Build a tall base and work your way up from there.
9. BOTTOMS UP. In general, tall clothing is more expensive (stupid but true). It sucks but it’s a fact. Instead of wallowing in it…accept it, move on and make an investment in pants. Buying some key jeans, pants and skirts that are long enough for you will be a little painful to your pockets but in the long run enhance your overall look tenfold. You can fold up your sleeves but you can’t create a leg to a pant that isn’t there. Splurge on the pieces that are necessary for an overall appropriate fit. My top places for haute bottoms are Alloy Apparel, Height Goddess and PZI Jeans for a curvy-tall fit.
10. PRINT PERFECT. Listen. We have long, beautiful bodies that are an amazing palate for prints. Don’t shy away from them because you think they will increase the attention that we already get for being tall. Like Harry Winston said, People will stare. Make it worth their while. You better wear those prints girl!
11. GET HIGH. With our long legs and torsos, a high-waisted option works wonderfully. It cinches our waist, elongates those beautiful stems and gives an overall amazing tall, classic silhouette. ASOS Tall and Alloy Apparel both have high-waisted, long inseam options that look wonderful on us.
12. DIY IT. When all else fails, make it yourself. Befriend a seamstress and make exactly what you need. I am a firm believer that every tall woman should have at least one black pantsuit made specifically for her. Got sewing skills? Jump on that machine and create. Nobody knows what you need better than yourself. Make a one of a kind piece that we will all be jealous of. MiMi Goodwin has amazing tutorials on her site MiMiGStyle.com that will help you create your tall pieces.
13. SAY NO TO DRYERS. Clothes shrink. Don’t create a sad style day by throwing your clothes in the dryer. Always air dry your tall clothing. Not only will the fit say tight, the look will stay right. Air drying increases the life of your clothing too.
14. ROCK OUTSIDE THE BOX. Never, EVER let anyone or anything put your style in a box. When you give your style parameters, you give yourself borders too. No matter what advice you get, know that your style voice is the best and strongest. Wear what you feel best in. There is nothing you could put on that will look better than confidence.
15. WEAR HEELS. Do not, I repeat DO NOT shy away from heels because you are already “too tall.” First, there is no such thing as too tall. Second, tall women rock heels the best. We really do! They make our long legs look freakin amazing and are an exclamation point to our tall style. If you like a shoe, rock it no matter what the height of the heel and don’t let anyone tell you different. Give 2 snaps, a side eye and strut away in those heels mama.
16. REMEMBER THIS. We have the privilege and pleasure in looking good in almost everything. There is always something that we don’t particularly fancy on ourselves (which a personal preference and is absolutely fine) but by and large we can wear more than most people can. Why do you think they pick tall models to display clothing on the runway? Why do you think models in general are tall? It’s no coincidence.
17. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. There are many tall retailers out there that have exactly what you need. Know them, join their email lists and shop the sales. Tall steals and deals are everywhere. It takes some work but your closet and bank account will thank you. Here are some tall spots for clothes and shoes to get you started (in no particular order):
Long Tall Sally: This is the premiere retailer for tall. They have great tall basics and style options for every tall woman. Inseams up to 38”. Shoes up to size 15 (yes, you read that right).
Alloy Apparel Tall Shop: Great tall clothes at even better prices. I love the 37” jumpsuits, skinny jeans and long length maxi skirts. They also have shoe options up to size 13.
Taller Than Your Average: This is an up and coming tall line that is just beautiful. Love the clean lines, classic cuts and forward thinking pieces. They also have a capsule collection with Long Tall Sally that is to die for.
Sole Society: This retailer has so many amazing styles in sizes up to 12. I want every single pair.
ASOS Tall: Hits all of the tall trends with many forward thinking tall pieces. I absolutely love everything about the tall brand.
NEXT: My spot for tall coats. I love all of them. They have an amazing selection of tall clothes too but the tall coats are my jam.
Sumissura: Made to order custom clothing. Need I say more?
Payless Shoes: Do not sleep on Payless. They have affordable, on-trend styles up to size 13. You can ship for free directly to the store and they have lines from your favorite designers like Christian Siriano. If you need a face for your shoe line, call me boo.
GAP Family: All of the retailers under the GAP umbrella offer tall styles. I check GAP, Old Navy (especially for tall sweaters), Banana Republic and Athleta often. Even PiperLime has some styles of shoes up to size 12 (not many, but some).
The Limited Tall: The Limited just re-launched their tall line and the pieces are fab. I particularly love their skater skirts because they are just the right short-tall length.
Height Goddess: THE place to go for long maxi dresses (up to 40” length) and a line of cute tall tees. They also have colored skinnies with up to 40” inseams.
Smash Shoes: This is a brand new shoe line in sizes 10-13. I love the quality, price point and haute look of the shoe line. It’s one to watch. I see only great things coming from them.
Poppy Barley: My go-to for custom boots and flats in sizes up to size 12. Investment pieces that will be staples in your wardrobe season after season. They also just added custom footwear for men as well.
Shoes of Prey: Design your own shoes up to size 15. So many amazing options and for a custom shoe, the prices aren’t too shabby!
Talltique: There have a selection of tall styles that you can buy online or in-store. Talltique is also creating it's own line of hard to find tall pieces.
Nordstrom and Nordstrom RACK: You can shop online or walk into the store on any given day and find shoe selections up to size 13. The RACK will have better price points and often have large size shoes sales (not fond of the name but I will take the sale).